Sunday, May 11, 2008

Happy Mother's Day

Making Mother Day cards for Mama Jody on the sly.
"Why do people ask Antonio why he has two moms?" Crystel asked. We were in the car by ourselves driving home from a park.
"When was that?" I said.
"At preschool."
"What did Antonio say?"
"He didn't say anything. Adrian said that it was because he came that way."
"Oh."
"Teacher Jane and Teacher Pat said it was because that is what his moms wanted."
"Should I help you come up with an answer?"
"Sure."
I thought. I thought some more. I was stumped myself. I realized that I didn't have an answer that a five year old boy or girl could say to people that would be positive, stop any further questioning, and be satisfying to all parties. "I'll have to think about it," I said.
The next day Crystel mentioned something about family and the answer came to me.
"I know what you could say when people ask you why you have two moms," I said. "You could tell them, "That's my family." And when they ask again, just repeat it, "That's my family."
Though Antonio didn't say anything I knew from experience that he took it in and that is exactly what he'd say the next time he was asked.