Sunday, December 28, 2008

Kindergarten Gingerbread Houses

The parents - helpers waiting for the children Antonio's class receiving instructions on how to make a Gingerbread House. Antonio is the child with the red tie. The only child with a tie. On a few occasions he has insisted on wearing his tie to school. This is a good problem - not even a problem. The fact that he is okay being different and that he likes to look nice is very okay with Jody and I. Leaning in to clearly understand how to place the candy on the house. His friend Jacob is next to him. Jody and I both volunteered that day. We divided the time between children and classrooms. Crystel's class operated a little different. They put on art shirts and piled the candy on. I didn't see them receiving any instructions at all. What was apparent is that without instruction they were far ahead of the other class in decorating.
Crystel with her masterpiece. Andy - her friend - is behind her. Andy knows English and Spanish. Crystel is such a great observer that she can mimic how he looks and his voice. I have her do this for me at bedtime. I laugh and laugh.
Andy pointing out his gingerbread house. I can't tell you why Crystel is wearing her hood. Expect it is her quiet way of saying, notice me.
Antonio finishing up his gingerbread house.
And there it is!